Clear Yoga Mentor program 2018-2020
Certification in Iyengar Yoga is managed through the Iyengar Yoga national Association of the United States and involves assessment of teaching skills, demonstrated practice skills, written understanding of philosophy, anatomy, sequencing, basic therapeutics and pranayama.
Due to the changes in the Iyengar Yoga Certification as directed by RIYMI in Pune, India Clear Yoga has put any further scheduled Mentoring programs on hold until we have further information on how to proceed.
This program is open to practitioners of Iyengar Yoga who have mature knowledge and a regular practice. To become a teacher in the tradition of B.K.S. Iyengar, you should be passionate about Iyengar Yoga and dedicated to sharing it. You must have been studying the method for several years, be able to work well at Level 2/3, and have a home practice. Additional requirements include:
- Consistent study and practice of Iyengar Yoga method at Level 2/3.
- A short half page essay highlighting your reasons for wanting to be an Iyengar Yoga teacher, including years of study, previous teachers, and any conditions, injuries etc. that may effect your practice in the program.
- Demonstration of sufficient knowledge of the asanas to undertake the program. Your knowledge of the asanas will be evaluated on:
- Knowledge of the Sanskrit names of the poses.
- Demonstration of the accurate form and actions of the asanas.
- Concentration and attention to alignment, extension and breath.
- Use of props to improve asanas, or make them possible or appropriate for you.
- Commitment to completion of the two-year course.
- Commitment to becoming certified in Iyengar Yoga.
- Commitment to taking regular classes with Jessica at Clear Yoga.
- Current and continuing membership in IYNAUS.
“Teaching is a difficult art, but it is the best service you can do for humanity”. BKS Iyengar.
Why get certified as an Iyengar Yoga teacher?
By beginning this journey, you are joining an extensive lineage , beginning with BKS Iyengar, of not only teaching, but of being open to learning and understanding what it is to be a human being.
The teachings of BKS Iyengar are an invitation into the deepest understanding of the self. Certification in this methodology offers a means towards “ knowledge’ and an opportunity to bring your students along this path.
The process towards Iyengar Yoga certification is, as such, an intensely personal journey. There will be moments where you run up against yourself: anxieties, fears, prejudices and of course, your hopes and aspirations. It will be a mirror for you to work. It is only through this level of deep self examination that we are able to teach.
This program is being offered as a mentoring program. As such, you will need to take regular weekly classes with Jessica. She will mentor you through training, practice, and eventually Iyengar Yoga assessment.
The role of the mentor is to get to know your practice, to guide, steer and train your teaching to a level required to become a certified Iyengar Yoga teacher.
Here are the details of what will be covered:
– A foundational analysis of yoga asana on the introductory level certification syllabus.
– How to communicate the actions of an asana effectively with clear, succinct instructions.
– How to watch and observe students in order to move them along in their practice.
– To observe and watch yourself in a similar manner.
– To sequence asanas correctly.
– To practice teaching your peers.
– To learn basic hands on adjustments.
– Preparation for Iyengar Yoga assessment and certification.
Monthly on Saturdays from 2-6pm. Beginning September 2018 and ending in June 2020. There will be no class in December, July or August.
It is not designed for those who would like to deepen their yoga practice or for those not planning on beginning the path to Introductory certification.
Requirements while on the program
- To teach and practice in the Iyengar method.
- To attend minimally 1 class a week with Jessica throughout the mentoring program. It is recommended in the Certification manual to take one class at your level of practice and a second at the level of certification you are going up for.
- To attend workshops offered at Clear Yoga.
- To attend the Intensives held at Clear Yoga by Jessica and visiting teachers.
- A commitment to attend each of the Mentoring sessions offered for the nine month program. There are no payments for Individual sessions.
- To have Jessica as your mentor for minimally two years before going up for assessment. There is a required amount of hours that IYNAUS requires that includes this program, classes and workshops taken.
- It is expected that you commit to completing the 2 years with attendance and payment. The cost of the program is $600 per year.